Notifications
Clear all

A time traveller's message to the future

Phidippides
(@phidippides)
Reputable Member Admin
Loaded Rounds: 759
Topic starter  

If you were to travel back in time to the year 1300, or 800, or 300, or whenever, and you got trapped there, how could you send a message to the future?  In other words, what would be the best way to plant a message somewhere to ensure that someone in the 2020s would be able to find it without it having been destroyed in war, discarded as trash 300 years ago, etc.?

Donald Baker
(@donaldbaker)
Illustrious Member Admin
Loaded Rounds: 1205

Have the message engraved on your headstone.

Even if Trump were to be revealed as the Dark Lord of the Sith, he's still better than the last four presidents we've had.

ReplyQuote
Phidippides
(@phidippides)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Are there many headstones from graves from the 300s in Europe?  Or even from the 1300s?  My guess is that most cemeteries from past centries did not survive but were built over.

ReplyQuote
Donald Baker
(@donaldbaker)
Illustrious Member Admin

That's all I got. 😜 

Even if Trump were to be revealed as the Dark Lord of the Sith, he's still better than the last four presidents we've had.

ReplyQuote
Phidippides
(@phidippides)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Huh.  No offense, but you might make a bad time traveller. 😆 

I am thinking that you'd have to find a place that would be relatively untouched by man or nature for centuries.  This could be done by hiding it physically, or hiding it intellectually.  For example, you could put a message in something that has stood for all these years, such as within the Pantheon in Rome (e.g. behind a wall), or embedded within a well-preserved statue so that only an xray could detect it.

Or, the message could be hidden more ingeniously.  I recall some years ago seeing a story about how some trees were evidently planted in Germany when the Nazis were in power, and in the fall the change in the colors of leaves would make a swastika visible from the air.  Maybe something like that - strategic plantings - could be a way of sending a message, but this might be iffy.

Better yet would be to plant a message in code in a text that will be preserved.  You'd have to drop hints within the text itself that there is a code hidden in it, but eventually some modern sleuths could try to crack it.  Think of the Hypnerotomachia Poliphili.

Ok, so that's what I got. 

ReplyQuote
Donald Baker
(@donaldbaker)
Illustrious Member Admin

But if you hide your message, wouldn't it be more difficult for it to be found?  If it is ever found at all?  I would think that you would need to place markers, hints, etc...to point future generations in the direction of your message, which these too might get lost over time.  I misunderstood this exercise to be an open message that can withstand many centuries for all to see.

ReplyQuote
Phidippides
(@phidippides)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Yes, it would be hard to find, at least until a text was widely available so that enough people could study it and understand the clues.  I actually just thought of one sure-fire way you could do it - by including the message in binary code.  If you knew binary code, you could include a series of 1s and 0s in a historical text somewhere.  While most people through the centuries would dismiss it as nonsensical, people living in the digital age would recognize it for what it is - a code with meaning.

Actually, now that I think of it, you're right that it wouldn't even need to be hidden, but could be open and obvious for all to see.  In that case, you could just publish an ingenious work of literature or some treatise that you know would impress enough people to be preserved for many centuries.  There is the risk that it could be destroyed, I suppose, as literature was in the destruction of the Library of Alexandria.

ReplyQuote
Share:

FORUM RULES

• No posts that incite violence or promotes hatred will be tolerated. Critics of gun enthusiasts always try to paint us as violent xenophobic racists. Nothing of the kind will be found here.
  • Harassment of other members will result in a swift permanent ban. If you cannot be nice, your stay here will be short.
  • Spamming the board with mindless rants will not be allowed. If there is a need, a forum can be created for well articulated tirades. We support free speech, but there are better ways of going about it.
  • Inappropriate pictures or graphics will be removed. There are enough websites on the internet for that junk. LegacyArmory.com isn’t going to become one of them.
  • Soliciting services are to be confined to the classified ads forum. We will allow the promotion of other personal websites so long as they are not inappropriate or offensive to our membership. WE KNOW INAPPROPRIATE WHEN WE SEE IT.
RSS
Follow by Email