Notifications
Clear all

Baptists' view of sin and redemption

Phidippides
(@phidippides)
Reputable Member Admin
Loaded Rounds: 648
Topic starter  

I saw on social media a strange theological take from someone who claimed her "strength" for abortion came from her Christian faith.  People started responding, such as with this:

This wasn't the only tweet referring to Baptist belief along these lines which seem to justify sin so long as you believed you were saved (or something to that effect).  I wonder, then, if this is a common presumption within the Baptist church.  If so, do Baptist preachers try to counter this belief?  Or do they encourage it? 

Donald Baker
(@donaldbaker)
Illustrious Member Admin
Loaded Rounds: 1098

I'm a Baptist and I never hear such rationalizations.  I can tell you it isn't how we believe.  Of course some will do whatever they want and cherry pick scriptures to justify their actions.  I don't think this just a "Baptist" thing by any means.

Even if Trump were to be revealed as the Dark Lord of the Sith, he's still better than the last four presidents we've had.

ReplyQuote
Phidippides
(@phidippides)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Oh ok.  I didn't know if it was representative of a larger cultural trend among Baptists or not.  I can understand that once you get a church with millions of members you will inevitably get people with offshoot ideas that aren't reflective of the core church.

ReplyQuote
Donald Baker
(@donaldbaker)
Illustrious Member Admin
Loaded Rounds: 1098

Yes just like Joe Biden is Catholic yet supports abortion.

Even if Trump were to be revealed as the Dark Lord of the Sith, he's still better than the last four presidents we've had.

ReplyQuote
Phidippides
(@phidippides)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Yeah, except I think more analogous would be a practice that is based on closer proximity to some underlying theology that might not be clearly understood by all members.  In this case, I think it would be the claim that Catholics worship the Virgin Mary.  While that might be true in individual cases in some cultures, it would be a violation of the core Catholic belief to worship God alone, and only to give honor to the Virgin Mary.  It would seem to me that this kind of thing might be parallel to a Baptist who wrongly interpreted "justification by faith" to mean it gave a green light to a life of sin.  I'm sure that the specific theology of every denomination leads to common types of violations.  On the flip side, the specific theology of every denomination also probably leads to common types of good practices.

ReplyQuote
Share:

FORUM RULES

• No posts that incite violence or promotes hatred will be tolerated. Critics of gun enthusiasts always try to paint us as violent xenophobic racists. Nothing of the kind will be found here.
  • Harassment of other members will result in a swift permanent ban. If you cannot be nice, your stay here will be short.
  • Spamming the board with mindless rants will not be allowed. If there is a need, a forum can be created for well articulated tirades. We support free speech, but there are better ways of going about it.
  • Inappropriate pictures or graphics will be removed. There are enough websites on the internet for that junk. LegacyArmory.com isn’t going to become one of them.
  • Soliciting services are to be confined to the classified ads forum. We will allow the promotion of other personal websites so long as they are not inappropriate or offensive to our membership. WE KNOW INAPPROPRIATE WHEN WE SEE IT.
RSS
Follow by Email