Notifications
Clear all

College Football 2021 Season

Phidippides
(@phidippides)
Reputable Member Admin
Loaded Rounds: 702
Topic starter  

Looks like Louisville might hold on to upsetting UCF. 

Phidippides
(@phidippides)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Wow, as I was writing that, UCF tied it up 35-35 late in the 4th.  Louisville came back to score and held on.  Close one.

ReplyQuote
Donald Baker
(@donaldbaker)
Illustrious Member Admin
Loaded Rounds: 1157

Satterfield is off the hot seat for now.  Great win for us.

Even if Trump were to be revealed as the Dark Lord of the Sith, he's still better than the last four presidents we've had.

ReplyQuote
Phidippides
(@phidippides)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter  

I'm in a College Football pick 'em group of 50 people on Yahoo.  Every week, we pick the winners of about 30-40 games (Top 25, and other big team games), and assign confidence points for each game.  The winner is whoever has the most confidence points at the end of the season. 

I've been playing it for years and I used to look at sports betting odds to help me.  However, it was really hard to do this is a reliable way (how do you easily compare a 16/5 favorite, against a 9/4 favorite, and a 3/1 favorite?).

So a few years ago I decided to systematize it all.  I noticed that every week, ESPN has its "Matchup Predictor" that gives a winning and losing percentage for each team in a matchup.  I used this data and found a way to put it into a spreadsheet for every matchup, as well as a way to sort the data, so I can then put my picks into Yahoo.

Once I started doing this, things took off. In 2016, I ended up as the 10th team of 25 teams in my league that year.  Then, in 2017, I was 2nd of 41 teams, in 2018, I was #1 of 36 teams, and in 2019 I was #1 of 47 teams. 

I'm currently tied for #1 of 50 teams, but the season is still young. 

The bottom line is that over time, data really works well, and the data from the ESPN Matchup Predictor is pretty good.

ReplyQuote
Donald Baker
(@donaldbaker)
Illustrious Member Admin

Lol using pivot tables are we now?  What fun is that?

Even if Trump were to be revealed as the Dark Lord of the Sith, he's still better than the last four presidents we've had.

ReplyQuote
Phidippides
(@phidippides)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Lol, I hadn't heard of "Pivot Table" so I had to look that one up. 

I guess I will have to use the same defense that Charles Reade used when he was accused of plagiarism: "It is true that I milked three hundred cows into my bucket, but the butter I churned was my own." 😂

ReplyQuote
Phidippides
(@phidippides)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Louisville plays another evenly-matched opponent this weekend in Florida State.  I have the Cardinals winning but only barely (I think they have around a 53% chance of winning).  Why can't they play any games where they're the heavy favorite?

ReplyQuote
Donald Baker
(@donaldbaker)
Illustrious Member Admin

We are not good enough to be a heavy favorite.  We have to play our A game to win.

ReplyQuote
Phidippides
(@phidippides)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter  

So Alabama lost, and now Georgia is the undisputed #1.  Here is the rest of the top 11 (I included 11 here because it's amazing that Kentucky is this high, and we might never see it happen again 😆 ).

1 6-0    
2 6-0    
3 5-0    
4 6-0    
5 5-1    
6 5-1    
7 5-1    
8 6-0    
9 4-1    
10 6-0    

So what do you make of it?  How will it change by the end of the season?  I think Alabama is going to claw its way back up to the top four.  Cincinnati appears to be the weakest team above them, followed by Oklahoma.  The logjam of Big Ten teams will start to loosen up once they start playing each other. 

ReplyQuote
Donald Baker
(@donaldbaker)
Illustrious Member Admin

What about Cincinnati and Kentucky both in the top 11 at the same time?  Definitely will never see that again. The college football world will have a meltdown if Kentucky is able to beat Georgia next week. 🤪 

Also, look at how well the B1G Conference is represented!  Maybe the SEC isn't the best football conference afterall.

ReplyQuote
Share:

FORUM RULES

• No posts that incite violence or promotes hatred will be tolerated. Critics of gun enthusiasts always try to paint us as violent xenophobic racists. Nothing of the kind will be found here.
  • Harassment of other members will result in a swift permanent ban. If you cannot be nice, your stay here will be short.
  • Spamming the board with mindless rants will not be allowed. If there is a need, a forum can be created for well articulated tirades. We support free speech, but there are better ways of going about it.
  • Inappropriate pictures or graphics will be removed. There are enough websites on the internet for that junk. LegacyArmory.com isn’t going to become one of them.
  • Soliciting services are to be confined to the classified ads forum. We will allow the promotion of other personal websites so long as they are not inappropriate or offensive to our membership. WE KNOW INAPPROPRIATE WHEN WE SEE IT.
RSS
Follow by Email