OU and UT to SEC

Page 1 / 2

Donald Baker
(@donaldbaker)
Illustrious Member Admin
Loaded Rounds: 1098
Topic starter  

Sounds like it's done deal.  Discuss.

Even if Trump were to be revealed as the Dark Lord of the Sith, he's still better than the last four presidents we've had.

Phidippides
(@phidippides)
Reputable Member Admin
Loaded Rounds: 648

I heard that from my nephew who goes to Alabama.  Will this be for all sports or just some?  I assume football is included, or else this we wouldn't be discussing it.  Normally I'd think that letting more schools into the SEC would be more of a benefit to the schools than to the SEC itself, but I think bringing Oklahoma in is a benefit to the conference.  Texas?  Eh, not so much, although maybe they can capture some of their glory days of old.

ReplyQuote
Donald Baker
(@donaldbaker)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

There is talk that Michigan and Ohio State plus Florida State and Clemson have been contacted as well.  Rumor is the SEC wants to go to 20 members to form a super conference.

Even if Trump were to be revealed as the Dark Lord of the Sith, he's still better than the last four presidents we've had.

ReplyQuote
Phidippides
(@phidippides)
Reputable Member Admin

Well, I hadn't heard about that.  That would kind of kill college football as a sport.  It would become like the NFL Junior League.  It would change the face of the sport for sure.

ReplyQuote
Phidippides
(@phidippides)
Reputable Member Admin

Let me modify that.  It wouldn't "kill college football", but would utterly change it, and probably not for the better.  For example, a "super league" would siphon off all the best players who know it's like the NFL minor leagues.  All the pundits would focus on the super league at the expense of other conferences, which would turn in to JV leagues. 

And what would happen once non-super league teams start dominating, and some super league team starts to become a league doormat?  You know that will inevitably happen at some point.  Would the super league drop the worst team and replace it with the better non-league team?  This is the way that Premiere League soccer in England handles it, and in the U.S. that system would probably work better at the collegiate level than in the pros. 

My guess is that since the idea is already being floated, it's going to happen. There's probably too much money to *not* make it happen.

ReplyQuote
Donald Baker
(@donaldbaker)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

This guy predicts where the rest of the Big 12 members may wind up.

https://longhornswire.usatoday.com/lists/texas-longhorns-oklahoma-sooners-football-sec-expansion-big-12-join-other-teams-will-go-iowa-state-kansas-west-virginia/

ReplyQuote
Donald Baker
(@donaldbaker)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

Is this just the tip of the iceberg?

https://rubbingtherock.com/2021/07/28/dabo-swinney-sec-plan-expansion/

ReplyQuote
Phidippides
(@phidippides)
Reputable Member Admin

I don't get it.  A 60-team league?  What would be the point?  What would it be called?  Division I Xtra Special?  It sounds like it's just a rebranding of Division I football.

I guess I don't understand what the problem is that they're trying to address right now.  The conference that college teams are in matter, but only to a certain degree since any college team can play non-conference games against non-conference teams.  Ok, so expanding the SEC by two teams means those teams will play more games games against SEC teams, but not exclusively.  But expanding the SEC into a 60-team league?  What purpose would that serve?

ReplyQuote
Donald Baker
(@donaldbaker)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

It's official.

https://www.kxan.com/sports/invitation-accepted-texas-and-oklahoma-officially-join-the-sec/

ReplyQuote
Donald Baker
(@donaldbaker)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

I think the SEC and maybe a few other conferences are actually thinking about breaking away from the NCAA altogether.  Four or five super conferences are probably the endgame here.

ReplyQuote
Phidippides
(@phidippides)
Reputable Member Admin

I'm going to guess that the way money is divided up among the schools is central to this fight right now.  Maybe control is a secondary issue.  I have to wonder, though, why colleges haven't broken away from the NCAA long before.  I bet they're under some contractual agreement to remain in the NCAA for a certain period of time, so I wonder how they would manage it if a bunch of schools formed their own league.

ReplyQuote
Donald Baker
(@donaldbaker)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

ESPN is working behind the scenes orchestrating much of this.  SEC, ACC, and AAC are ESPN while the PAC 12, Big 12, and B1G are Fox.  The goal is to destroy the Big 12 and absorb it into the three conferences ESPN controls while also reducing the competition's inventory.  It's all about the Benjamins.

ReplyQuote
Donald Baker
(@donaldbaker)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

Here is how I see this all going down.

• AAC picks up Baylor, Kansas State, TCU, and Texas Tech
  • B1G picks up Iowa State and Kansas
  • ACC picks up West Virginia and poaches Cincinnati from AAC.
  • Notre Dame stands pat.
  • Pac 12 Stands pat.

SEC WEST - Oklahoma, Texas, LSU, Mississippi State, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Missouri, and Texas A&M

SEC EAST - Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Kentucky, South Carolina, and Vanderbilt

AAC WEST - Kansas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Baylor, Houston, Memphis, SMU

AAC EAST - Temple, South Florida, Navy, UCF, East Carolina, Tulane, and Southern Mississippi replaces Cincinnati

B1G WEST - Minnesota, Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa State, Iowa, Indiana, Purdue, Wisconsin

B1G EAST - Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers, Maryland, Michigan State, Northwestern

ACC Atlantic - Clemson, FSU, NC State, Louisville, Wake Forest, Boston College, Syracuse, Cincinnati

ACC Coastal - Duke, North Carolina, Pittsburgh, Miami, West Virginia, Virginia Tech, Virginia, Georgia Tech

ReplyQuote
Donald Baker
(@donaldbaker)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

Looks like Kansas is headed to the B1G as I predicted.  I think they will do well there.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sports/kansas-big-ten-imminent-big-12-conference-realignment/

ReplyQuote
Phidippides
(@phidippides)
Reputable Member Admin

Tell me this - do you think the Big 12 *has* to fold?  I mean, why can't it survive without Texas and OU?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:

FORUM RULES

• No posts that incite violence or promotes hatred will be tolerated. Critics of gun enthusiasts always try to paint us as violent xenophobic racists. Nothing of the kind will be found here.
  • Harassment of other members will result in a swift permanent ban. If you cannot be nice, your stay here will be short.
  • Spamming the board with mindless rants will not be allowed. If there is a need, a forum can be created for well articulated tirades. We support free speech, but there are better ways of going about it.
  • Inappropriate pictures or graphics will be removed. There are enough websites on the internet for that junk. LegacyArmory.com isn’t going to become one of them.
  • Soliciting services are to be confined to the classified ads forum. We will allow the promotion of other personal websites so long as they are not inappropriate or offensive to our membership. WE KNOW INAPPROPRIATE WHEN WE SEE IT.
RSS
Follow by Email