The Looming AI Disruption
We talked about ChatGPT in another thread, but now I want to talk about Artificial Intelligence more generally. I predict it is about to disrupt our society on a massive scale. I'm not predicting disaster just yet, but even short of that it will cause us many social headaches that we will have to grapple with.
I previously wrote about how ChatGPT can be used to write fake school essays with ease that are also relatively undetectable. It can also be used to write malware code. Other AI platforms can create fake-but-realistic pictures and videos that can easily fool people (e.g. the fake Trump arrest photos).
Yesterday, I found saw this - someone fed a bunch of old Nirvana songs into an AI program to generate a "new" single:
BREAKING: AI listened to 20+ Nirvana songs and created a new song called "Drowned in the Sun"pic.twitter.com/x2T6JYr7Jy
— Jack Poso 🇺🇸 (@JackPosobiec) April 15, 2023
Would anyone know the difference if they were told this was an old track that was just discovered? Could we have the release of entirely new Nirvana albums in the future? What about works by Mozart or Beethoven, novels by Charles Dickens, or plays by Shakespeare? As for newer works, who owns the copyright? Anyone? This is going to open up massive issues we haven't even considered before.
Are you sure about the song? Lyrics.com credits the song to Death Rising written by Dave Kreischer.
Even if Trump were to be revealed as the Dark Lord of the Sith, he's still better than the last four presidents we've had.
Wow, ok, I did some checking on this, and it's not quite as I thought originally. The song itself was the product of AI, but the singing was done by a real person. It was produced by an organization from Toronto that has also done with for other singers who died at age 27. There was an article that came out about this in 2021:
So I guess the coming AI disaster is on hold...for a while. 😆
- No posts that incite violence or promotes hatred will be tolerated. Critics of gun enthusiasts always try to paint us as violent xenophobic racists. Nothing of the kind will be found here.
- Harassment of other members will result in a swift permanent ban. If you cannot be nice, your stay here will be short.
- Spamming the board with mindless rants will not be allowed. If there is a need, a forum can be created for well articulated tirades. We support free speech, but there are better ways of going about it.
- Inappropriate pictures or graphics will be removed. There are enough websites on the internet for that junk. LegacyArmory.com isn’t going to become one of them.
- Soliciting services are to be confined to the classified ads forum. We will allow the promotion of other personal websites so long as they are not inappropriate or offensive to our membership. WE KNOW INAPPROPRIATE WHEN WE SEE IT.