Transhumanism The Endgame

8 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@donaldbaker)
Illustrious Member Admin
Loaded Rounds: 1868
Topic starter  

Even if Trump were to be revealed as the Dark Lord of the Sith, he's still better than the last four presidents we've had.

(@phidippides)
Honorable Member Admin
Loaded Rounds: 1336

While I agree with much of what she said, it seems that the critical issue is whether this becomes a *forced* thing or not.  In other words, if society wants to hop on the metaverse, then that's their preference.  The problem comes when people have no choice but to do so.  This doesn't mean that the metaverse is a good thing to begin with, but we can say that if people want to live lives of convenience by "living" in Mark Zuckerberg's digital world, then that is ultimately their own choice.  Yes, they are choosing their own demise, but no one is forcing them to do it.  If, on the other hand, people are effectively forced to participate in the metaverse, then it's another issue.  Or am I looking at this incorrectly?

ReplyQuote
(@donaldbaker)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

I say you see it correctly.  If we are forced to be biologically altered to be plugged into the metaverse, or any other forced procedure, it should be abolished before it ever gets started.

Even if Trump were to be revealed as the Dark Lord of the Sith, he's still better than the last four presidents we've had.

ReplyQuote
(@phidippides)
Honorable Member Admin

I think the one kicker is that transhumanism might be presented as a choice in the present, but the pressure then builds up so as to effectively make it a necessity. 

For example, we can say that people living in 2003 clearly had a choice about whether they wanted to go online or not.  However, do people in 2023 still have that choice?  If they want to access certain government services, or pay utility bills, or do other basic tasks, can they do so offline?  I think the answer is still "yes", but it's becoming increasingly difficult (e.g. you might have to pay a fee to have a paper bill sent to you). 

I can imagine how in the future, commercial and government functions might only be possible by plugging yourself in to the metaverse.  Then, it seems like a convenient choice, but in reality you're being forced to do it.

ReplyQuote
(@donaldbaker)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

Of course you can say the same thing about cars, trains, and airplanes to people who previously used the horse and carriage.  Technology is going to technology whether we like it or not.  Often times technology outpaces our ability to evaluate whether or not it is being ethically used.  Obviously some technologies are wonderful (horses say thank you), but others not so much (ask Dolly the sheep).  Humanity is at a crossroads where once we decide to embrace AI, Organ Cloning, Spike Protein Vaccines, Electric Vehicles, Social Credit Scores, Digital Currencies, and the Metaverse, there will be no going back to what it used to be.  Either keep up with the technology or get left behind and ostracized from society.  In other words, take the mark of the Beast or else...

ReplyQuote
(@phidippides)
Honorable Member Admin

So do you subscribe to the view that the course of future events in relation to technology can be changed, or do you think it's a foregone conclusion that our future is dystopian? 

In other words, given that there is already seems to be a push toward the Metaverse, social credit scores, etc., would we even be able to stop these?  If we try to stop them, aren't we just like the handful of horse-and-carriage riders in the late nineteenth century who are hopelessly complaining about the rise of automobiles?

ReplyQuote
(@donaldbaker)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

I lean toward dystopian inevitability.

ReplyQuote
(@phidippides)
Honorable Member Admin

Posted by: @donaldbaker

I lean toward dystopian inevitability.

😅🤔😮

I was trying to think of some technological advancement from history that could have been unleashed, but which was avoided or suppressed due to moral concerns.

The use of nuclear weapons is one, but that's highly controlled military matter that a minuscule number of people could ever access, so maybe that's not a good example.

Perhaps a better example is cross-breeding between man and animals.  The Island of Dr. Moreau was written in 1896, so the idea has been around for a long time.  I guess the fact that we don't have a race of dog-men running around is evidence that some dystopian technological inclinations might not be inevitable, right?

ReplyQuote
Share:

FORUM RULES

• No posts that incite violence or promotes hatred will be tolerated. Critics of gun enthusiasts always try to paint us as violent xenophobic racists. Nothing of the kind will be found here.
  • Harassment of other members will result in a swift permanent ban. If you cannot be nice, your stay here will be short.
  • Spamming the board with mindless rants will not be allowed. If there is a need, a forum can be created for well articulated tirades. We support free speech, but there are better ways of going about it.
  • Inappropriate pictures or graphics will be removed. There are enough websites on the internet for that junk. LegacyArmory.com isn’t going to become one of them.
  • Soliciting services are to be confined to the classified ads forum. We will allow the promotion of other personal websites so long as they are not inappropriate or offensive to our membership. WE KNOW INAPPROPRIATE WHEN WE SEE IT.
Legacy Armory