Generational Radicalism

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@phidippides)
Honorable Member Admin
Loaded Rounds: 1296
Topic starter  

I have come up with an idea which I think deserves some exploration.  It's safe to say that some of the people most inclined to engage in political radicalism are the youth, particularly those in their late teens and early 20s.  Perhaps it's no surprise that historically, colleges have been places where revolutions have simmered.

But there's another generation which might also be prone to radicalization, and that is the elderly.  Think of the people who are nearing or at retirement, but before they are in need of assisted living. 

While the younger radicals often become radicalized through ignorant idealism and feelings of "I can change the world!", the older radicals might become radicalized for a much different reason.  They have become weary of trying to change things through the regular ways (politics, voting, etc.) and have become impatient and intolerant.  Unlike the youth, who have everything to gain by radical change, the older people have nothing to lose.

Other generations, such as children or middle age people, are much less likely to produce radicals.  Children don't for obvious reasons, but early career and middle age people simply have too many other concrete concerns with family and work.

So is this theory plausible?  If so, does it apply to other times of history as well?  And might it also help us to institute better policies going forward?

(@donaldbaker)
Illustrious Member Admin
Loaded Rounds: 1811

Sounds like a thesis in the making.😁

Even if Trump were to be revealed as the Dark Lord of the Sith, he's still better than the last four presidents we've had.

ReplyQuote
(@phidippides)
Honorable Member Admin
Loaded Rounds: 1296
Topic starter  

So you think it's a valid theory, huh? 😶‍🌫️

Younger radicals: David Hogg, AOC, any number of TikTok personalities

Older radicals: George Soros, Klaus Schwab, Nancy Pelosi

I think to be viable, I'd have to look at quantifiable data to uncover extremist views among those groups.  Otherwise, we could just cherry-pick radicals of any age to counter my general thesis.

By the way, the reason I thought there were two generations of radicals was because in my own life (family, etc.), I could see characteristics of uncompromising, all-in attitudes among the elderly, and thought it might be a widespread trait.

ReplyQuote
Share:

FORUM RULES

• No posts that incite violence or promotes hatred will be tolerated. Critics of gun enthusiasts always try to paint us as violent xenophobic racists. Nothing of the kind will be found here.
  • Harassment of other members will result in a swift permanent ban. If you cannot be nice, your stay here will be short.
  • Spamming the board with mindless rants will not be allowed. If there is a need, a forum can be created for well articulated tirades. We support free speech, but there are better ways of going about it.
  • Inappropriate pictures or graphics will be removed. There are enough websites on the internet for that junk. LegacyArmory.com isn’t going to become one of them.
  • Soliciting services are to be confined to the classified ads forum. We will allow the promotion of other personal websites so long as they are not inappropriate or offensive to our membership. WE KNOW INAPPROPRIATE WHEN WE SEE IT.
Legacy Armory