College Football Week 9

13 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@phidippides)
Honorable Member Admin
Loaded Rounds: 1297
Topic starter  

In this week's upsets, I have Stanford beating Arizona, and Notre Dame beating Michigan.

Also, I have my #17 Gophers beating Maryland to improve to 8-0.  What's interesting is that #13 Wisconsin is going to lose to #3 Ohio State, and it's very possible that #15 Texas loses to TCU, which means Minnesota could potentially jump all the way down to #14 or #13 after this weekend.  That would be their highest ranking ever since I first started following them back in the 1980s.  😲 

Going to enjoy the fun while it lasts, since the next week we play Penn State, and that might not end so well.  I guess, though, that being unbeaten through Halloween ain't so bad. 🥂 

(@donaldbaker)
Illustrious Member Admin
Loaded Rounds: 1811

The Gophers are going to a nice bowl this year.

Even if Trump were to be revealed as the Dark Lord of the Sith, he's still better than the last four presidents we've had.

ReplyQuote
(@donaldbaker)
Illustrious Member Admin

Gophers looked strong again.  Sooners wet the bed at Kansas State.  Whiskey got exposed by tOSU Juggernaut.  Clemson steamrolled.  Penn State is lurking in striking distance.  Texas should drop out of the top 25.  Last but not least, my Cardinals are now the second best team in the ACC!

Even if Trump were to be revealed as the Dark Lord of the Sith, he's still better than the last four presidents we've had.

ReplyQuote
(@donaldbaker)
Illustrious Member Admin

Oh Tide Rolled and LSU may be the only team in Bama's way to another title run.

ReplyQuote
(@phidippides)
Honorable Member Admin
Topic starter  

@donaldbaker

And ND is getting whipped by Michigan. 😢🎃

ReplyQuote
(@phidippides)
Honorable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Wow - gotta frame this.  Minnesota at #13, just above Michigan. 🙆‍♂️

Oh, and six teams from the B10 in the top 20.  Not bad.  Not bad at all.

ReplyQuote
(@donaldbaker)
Illustrious Member Admin

The Golden Gophers will get their chance for glory.  Will they be ready for prime time?

ReplyQuote
(@phidippides)
Honorable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Wow - Gophers upset the Nittany Lions!  May be the greatest day in Minnesota college football in the last 30 years (much more meaningful of their upset of then-No. 2 Penn State in 1999, when I'm pretty sure Minnesota was unranked).  Could Minnesota now get into the top ten?  This is a big day.

ReplyQuote
(@donaldbaker)
Illustrious Member Admin

They are going to really force the committee to look at them now.  If they beat OSU in the Big Ten title game they have to get in.  Who do they bump if that happens?

ReplyQuote
(@phidippides)
Honorable Member Admin
Topic starter  

That would be great if we could make it to the Big Ten title game, but beating Iowa or Wisconsin are still difficult tasks. 

I did find it interesting that Alabama only fell to a convenient ranking of #4 after its loss.  Right now I still think Ohio State may be the team to beat.

ReplyQuote
(@donaldbaker)
Illustrious Member Admin

Ohio State is the best team this year and Clemson is the second best followed by LSU and then maybe Alabama.  Everyone else is a tier below.

ReplyQuote
(@donaldbaker)
Illustrious Member Admin

Well Minny's run came to an end today.  They still can make the Big Ten title game though and a very nice bowl game.  Lots to build on.

ReplyQuote
(@phidippides)
Honorable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Yep.  I noticed before the game that ESPN computer simulations gave Iowa around a 61% chance of winning, so the loss wasn't unexpected.  And, at least it was close in the end.  Mind you, Minnesota has likely never been able to recruit well since the program is historically inept, so hopefully this changes some things for the years ahead.

ReplyQuote
Share:

FORUM RULES

• No posts that incite violence or promotes hatred will be tolerated. Critics of gun enthusiasts always try to paint us as violent xenophobic racists. Nothing of the kind will be found here.
  • Harassment of other members will result in a swift permanent ban. If you cannot be nice, your stay here will be short.
  • Spamming the board with mindless rants will not be allowed. If there is a need, a forum can be created for well articulated tirades. We support free speech, but there are better ways of going about it.
  • Inappropriate pictures or graphics will be removed. There are enough websites on the internet for that junk. LegacyArmory.com isn’t going to become one of them.
  • Soliciting services are to be confined to the classified ads forum. We will allow the promotion of other personal websites so long as they are not inappropriate or offensive to our membership. WE KNOW INAPPROPRIATE WHEN WE SEE IT.
Legacy Armory