ChatGPT

14 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@phidippides)
Honorable Member Admin
Loaded Rounds: 1296
Topic starter  

ChatGPT is an AI bot that was launched in November 2022 and has been in the news recently.  Not only can it be used to write fake essays, thereby harming traditional educational practices, but it is also being used to write malware by cybercriminals.  How disruptive will ChatGPT be in the future, or other AI platforms that will undoubtedly emerge?

(@donaldbaker)
Illustrious Member Admin
Loaded Rounds: 1810

I'm not up to speed on this subject to comment intelligently.  All I know is Elon Musk has warned of the dangers AI development poses to humanity.  If it concerns him, I suppose I should be concerned too.  Technological disruptions can be beneficial as long as human ethics can keep pace.

Even if Trump were to be revealed as the Dark Lord of the Sith, he's still better than the last four presidents we've had.

ReplyQuote
(@phidippides)
Honorable Member Admin
Topic starter  

I remember when Musk warned us of this about a decade ago.  I thought he was kind of bonkers at the time since AI seemed like one of the last things to worry about.

Then, a few years ago, I read an article that changed my mind.  It discussed the progress of how inventions were made, and how in the twentieth century, you had many smart people teaming up to invent things.  As these inventions became more and more complex, people relied on more advanced technology to help with the inventing.  Eventually, we'll hit a point at which the inventing is done by computers rather than people at all.  At that point, there will be massive advancements in technology and there will be no turning back. 

In other words, the jump to AI will come quickly, rather than gradually.  I think we're at that stage right now when we're making the transition.  In the history of inventions - the wheel, writing, movable type, photography, etc. - the jump to AI will likely be right up there at the top.  And we've got front row seats to this historical development.

ReplyQuote
(@donaldbaker)
Illustrious Member Admin

Google is apparently extremely worried that ChatGPT could adversely affect their business, even to the point of rendering them obsolete.  They are now racing to create an AI that can compete.  So will this accelerate AI Armageddon for us?  Stay tuned... 

Even if Trump were to be revealed as the Dark Lord of the Sith, he's still better than the last four presidents we've had.

ReplyQuote
(@phidippides)
Honorable Member Admin
Topic starter  

This would all be great as the storyline in some movie.  Not so great as the storyline from our actual news.  Scary times!

ReplyQuote
(@phidippides)
Honorable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Alright, so I just discovered there are several AI plugins for Wordpress now.  Maybe I shouldn't be surprised, but this seems to be a pretty noteworthy development.  I tried out an extension that creates entire posts on the fly using any prompt you want.  Here's one I did on the CIA's role in the takedown of Patrice Lumumba:

http://www.westerncivforum.com/the-cias-role-in-lumumbas-downfall/

What's interesting is that there are quite a number of writing style modifications you can use, from journalistic to creative, cheerful to professional, etc.  Hypothetically, you could keep pumping out content for a website just by having the AI do all the heavy lifting. 

ReplyQuote
(@donaldbaker)
Illustrious Member Admin

That's pretty neat Phid.  I installed it here, and will probably use it at CL too.  It generated a pretty simple post on the Dragunov SVD for me.  I inserted the pic.

https://legacyarmory.com/sharpshooting-with-the-dragunov-a-joyful-introduction/

ReplyQuote
(@phidippides)
Honorable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Right on!  That's pretty cool.  It's definitely a time-saver.  I might try setting up a bunch of posts that I can have published in the future on different topics.  I created a different user account at WCF so I can kind of separate the AI authorship from my own.  I'm debating whether or not I will need to include a note on articles that are AI-generated so people don't get the wrong idea and think a human wrote them, lol.

ReplyQuote
(@donaldbaker)
Illustrious Member Admin

I thought about denoting the AI as author as well, but I will leave it off for now.  I think I will stick to informative topics instead of ones that would be more opinionated...save for the first one I generated.  I have done one on Vasily Zaitsev the Soviet World War II sniper, and one on assault rifles.

ReplyQuote
(@phidippides)
Honorable Member Admin
Topic starter  

I am using the same "AI Engine" (Meow Apps) plugin that you're using here.  Once I looked further, it looks like it's a "free trial" that only lasts a few weeks.  I might look at some other similar plugins as well since it seemed like there were quite a few available through Wordpress.

Also, I was hoping to find an AI plugin that allowed for automatic reply creation for forum posts.  Ideally, an AI program would be able to scan forum posts (maybe ones that don't have replies) and then come up with 75-word replies.  This might be a little bit beyond what's available, though.

By the way, with AI like ChatGPT being able to write code, I wonder if I could get it to create a Wordpress plugin if I give it enough prompts. 

ReplyQuote
(@donaldbaker)
Illustrious Member Admin

I'm sure you could, but you would be better off having someone code it for  you and offer customer service support.

ReplyQuote
(@phidippides)
Honorable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Well I'm beginning to really like the AI authorship of blog posts.  Makes things so much easier and faster if you want to churn out content.  However, for some reason I can't get that Wordpress plugin to write articles longer than a few paragraphs, so they're almost too short for the type of treatment I want to have for certain topics.

What I decided to do instead was to use the plugin to generate sections, but then go directly into ChatGPT and have it write subsections with more depth.  So for the time being, it seems like AI can be used as a great workhorse, but it requires a human mind for guidance.

ReplyQuote
(@donaldbaker)
Illustrious Member Admin

Well I'm not ready for the AI to replace the human mind anyway. lol 😎 

ReplyQuote
(@phidippides)
Honorable Member Admin
Topic starter  

I didn't realize this but apparently ChatGPT was just the tip of the spear.  There are over a thousand new AI tools that were launched last month, and I'm guessing these will probably take our society by storm in ways we will have difficulty grasping now. 

They do all sorts of stuff.  For example:

Create AI voices

Create a resume with AI help

Input text and generate AI video (I threw one together in a few minutes about a post I made at WCF...the result is not great but you get the idea)

ReplyQuote
Share:

FORUM RULES

• No posts that incite violence or promotes hatred will be tolerated. Critics of gun enthusiasts always try to paint us as violent xenophobic racists. Nothing of the kind will be found here.
  • Harassment of other members will result in a swift permanent ban. If you cannot be nice, your stay here will be short.
  • Spamming the board with mindless rants will not be allowed. If there is a need, a forum can be created for well articulated tirades. We support free speech, but there are better ways of going about it.
  • Inappropriate pictures or graphics will be removed. There are enough websites on the internet for that junk. LegacyArmory.com isn’t going to become one of them.
  • Soliciting services are to be confined to the classified ads forum. We will allow the promotion of other personal websites so long as they are not inappropriate or offensive to our membership. WE KNOW INAPPROPRIATE WHEN WE SEE IT.
Legacy Armory