ChatGPT

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@phidippides)
Reputable Member Admin
Loaded Rounds: 796
Topic starter  

ChatGPT is an AI bot that was launched in November 2022 and has been in the news recently.  Not only can it be used to write fake essays, thereby harming traditional educational practices, but it is also being used to write malware by cybercriminals.  How disruptive will ChatGPT be in the future, or other AI platforms that will undoubtedly emerge?

(@donaldbaker)
Illustrious Member Admin
Loaded Rounds: 1292

I'm not up to speed on this subject to comment intelligently.  All I know is Elon Musk has warned of the dangers AI development poses to humanity.  If it concerns him, I suppose I should be concerned too.  Technological disruptions can be beneficial as long as human ethics can keep pace.

Even if Trump were to be revealed as the Dark Lord of the Sith, he's still better than the last four presidents we've had.

ReplyQuote
(@phidippides)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter  

I remember when Musk warned us of this about a decade ago.  I thought he was kind of bonkers at the time since AI seemed like one of the last things to worry about.

Then, a few years ago, I read an article that changed my mind.  It discussed the progress of how inventions were made, and how in the twentieth century, you had many smart people teaming up to invent things.  As these inventions became more and more complex, people relied on more advanced technology to help with the inventing.  Eventually, we'll hit a point at which the inventing is done by computers rather than people at all.  At that point, there will be massive advancements in technology and there will be no turning back. 

In other words, the jump to AI will come quickly, rather than gradually.  I think we're at that stage right now when we're making the transition.  In the history of inventions - the wheel, writing, movable type, photography, etc. - the jump to AI will likely be right up there at the top.  And we've got front row seats to this historical development.

ReplyQuote
(@donaldbaker)
Illustrious Member Admin
Loaded Rounds: 1292

Google is apparently extremely worried that ChatGPT could adversely affect their business, even to the point of rendering them obsolete.  They are now racing to create an AI that can compete.  So will this accelerate AI Armageddon for us?  Stay tuned... 

Even if Trump were to be revealed as the Dark Lord of the Sith, he's still better than the last four presidents we've had.

ReplyQuote
(@phidippides)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter  

This would all be great as the storyline in some movie.  Not so great as the storyline from our actual news.  Scary times!

ReplyQuote
Share:

FORUM RULES

• No posts that incite violence or promotes hatred will be tolerated. Critics of gun enthusiasts always try to paint us as violent xenophobic racists. Nothing of the kind will be found here.
  • Harassment of other members will result in a swift permanent ban. If you cannot be nice, your stay here will be short.
  • Spamming the board with mindless rants will not be allowed. If there is a need, a forum can be created for well articulated tirades. We support free speech, but there are better ways of going about it.
  • Inappropriate pictures or graphics will be removed. There are enough websites on the internet for that junk. LegacyArmory.com isn’t going to become one of them.
  • Soliciting services are to be confined to the classified ads forum. We will allow the promotion of other personal websites so long as they are not inappropriate or offensive to our membership. WE KNOW INAPPROPRIATE WHEN WE SEE IT.
Legacy Armory