Antisemitism in the news

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
(@phidippides)
Honorable Member Admin
Loaded Rounds: 1546
Topic starter  

What's your take on the recent Antisemitism that's been floating around the news the past week or two?  First we had Kanye West, and now Kyrie Irving, and both are getting hammered for things they've been saving or posted about on social media.

I haven't been following the content of what they're saying very closely, but the backlash against them is getting the headlines.  Is this an issue that is getting commandeered by political ideologies?  What is going on exactly?

(@donaldbaker)
Illustrious Member Admin
Loaded Rounds: 2068

I think it is weird that African-Americans would be anti-Semitic at all but I guess it is a thing.  Be that as it may, I think they should be allowed to say their opinions if they want as long as they understand that it will cost them endorsements.  The real thing to watch is that no ethnic group is protected from the thought police now.

Even if Trump were to be revealed as the Dark Lord of the Sith, he's still better than the last four presidents we've had.

ReplyQuote
(@phidippides)
Honorable Member Admin
Topic starter  

I know there's a group called the "Black Israelites" (not sure if it's a religion or not) but I believe they consider themselves the true Israelites.  I remember walking in Manhattan in the early 1990s and I think it was that group that was speaking into a loudspeaker on a city block.  Same group as those who targeted the Covington kids in D.C. a few years ago.

With Antisemitism, I think there's always some truths mixed in with conspiracies theories and harmful stereotyping/bigotry.  I don't think the answer, however, is to outright censor or label all criticism as "Antisemitism", because that just reinforces the conspiracy theories, and can be a way of deflecting legitimate concerns.  I honestly think that today's woke culture likely has its roots in the way the ADL or other Jewish groups have been able to characterize criticism as "Antisemitism".  When you say any group is off-limits to criticism, you replace rational discourse with the notion of "taboo ideas", and that's not good for society.

ReplyQuote
(@phidippides)
Honorable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Well the whole Kanye West thing blew up this week.  He goes from saying some great things to very stupid things in the same week.  However, the thing that put him over a cliff was the the whole "defense of Hitler" thing.  Now, he's likely to get other people - who want to be contrarians like he is - to also second guess the view that Hitler was bad.  Sigh.  It's been bad enough dealing with defenders of Marxism.  Are we going to have to deal with defenders of Nazism as well?

ReplyQuote
(@donaldbaker)
Illustrious Member Admin
Loaded Rounds: 2068

I have read Ye began saying this nonsense to get out of his contracts.  Not sure how true it is but it could explain why he is pushing the envelope the way he is.

Even if Trump were to be revealed as the Dark Lord of the Sith, he's still better than the last four presidents we've had.

ReplyQuote
Share:

FORUM RULES

• No posts that incite violence or promotes hatred will be tolerated. Critics of gun enthusiasts always try to paint us as violent xenophobic racists. Nothing of the kind will be found here.
  • Harassment of other members will result in a swift permanent ban. If you cannot be nice, your stay here will be short.
  • Spamming the board with mindless rants will not be allowed. If there is a need, a forum can be created for well articulated tirades. We support free speech, but there are better ways of going about it.
  • Inappropriate pictures or graphics will be removed. There are enough websites on the internet for that junk. LegacyArmory.com isn’t going to become one of them.
  • Soliciting services are to be confined to the classified ads forum. We will allow the promotion of other personal websites so long as they are not inappropriate or offensive to our membership. WE KNOW INAPPROPRIATE WHEN WE SEE IT.
Legacy Armory