Topic starter  

Hmmm.....

ReplyQuote
Donald Baker
(@donaldbaker)
Illustrious Member Admin
Loaded Rounds: 1098

And so it begins....

Even if Trump were to be revealed as the Dark Lord of the Sith, he's still better than the last four presidents we've had.

ReplyQuote
Phidippides
(@phidippides)
Reputable Member Admin
Loaded Rounds: 648
Topic starter  

So, honest question here - what exactly would a civil war in America look like?  I'd like to run through some scenarios, because it's confusing to me as to how this would happen, if it ever did get there.  The problems I see are a) the side would be divided along urban/rural lines in terms of popular support, and b) the federal government is so vastly stronger than local power that whichever side controls that at the time of escalation would basically control the outcome.  But let's say that there was a coup inside the federal government so that the military were split evenly.  What would happen then?

ReplyQuote
Donald Baker
(@donaldbaker)
Illustrious Member Admin

I think the West Coast and the Northeast plus the upper Midwest would likely form geographical alliances against the rest of the nation.

Even if Trump were to be revealed as the Dark Lord of the Sith, he's still better than the last four presidents we've had.

ReplyQuote
Ken
 Ken
(@skiguy)
Eminent Member Admin Registered, Customer
Loaded Rounds: 261

Good questions, Phid.  Would I have to move to a red state?  Western Rhode Island would be safe for now.

ReplyQuote
Donald Baker
(@donaldbaker)
Illustrious Member Admin

Posted by: @skiguy

Good questions, Phid.  Would I have to move to a red state?  Western Rhode Island would be safe for now.

I think Maine would be safer for you.  But New England is no man's land if a Civil War erupts.

ReplyQuote
Ken
 Ken
(@skiguy)

Was thinking northern New Hampshire too. 

My main concern with civil war would be communications.  How would you meet up?  How would you know about like minded groups?  How would you get out information if what are you publishing is banned or considered illegal by the Feds?

ReplyQuote
Donald Baker
(@donaldbaker)
Illustrious Member Admin

What if the dollar is abandoned for a digital currency?  How do you buy or sell?  Would you be constantly tracked?  Scary thoughts.

ReplyQuote
Phidippides
(@phidippides)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter  

I think the more immediately question would be about how territory is first divided up.  Set aside issues of fighting for the moment, and let's say an amicable split was made.  With that in mind, consider the following questions.  For our purposes, I'll call the territories "Wokestan" and "Trumplandia":

1. Would Wokestan and Trumplandia really be divided neatly along state lines?  Because the ideological divide is really between rural and urban, which suggests that it would be more of a patchwork of alliances than a neat division.  Otherwise, you'd have red zones controlled by blue leaders, and vice versa. 
  2. With #1 in mind, a situation in which I could accept neat division along state lines is if states amicably broke up and they gave time for people to pack up and move out.  I actually envision a period of time during which there will be a mass migration of people as they move to areas of the country where they like the government.
  3. Will it only be Wokestan and Trumplandia, or would there be a third, or fourth nation born at the time of the breakup?  Or would places like Trumplandia take an early U.S. model of being a collection of individual, largely autonomous states?  My view is that many people would move to Trumplandia to escape leftist oppression, but they would not necessarily be traditional conservatives.  Some would be traditional liberals, some libertarians, and then some white supremacists, etc.  So you'd have different people with some things in common but who would never want to be governed in the same way.

Answer these questions.

ReplyQuote
Donald Baker
(@donaldbaker)
Illustrious Member Admin

1.  Yes. I don't think states are going to balkanize.  State referendums would decide which nation they join.

2.  I suspect travel visas would be issued since people will likely have family members in both countries.

3.  I think two nations would emerge; not three or more.  Geographical continuity would be a problem for both so some kind of travel corridor would be created sorta like the Neutral Zone from Star Trek.

ReplyQuote
Phidippides
(@phidippides)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @donaldbaker

1.  Yes. I don't think states are going to balkanize.  State referendums would decide which nation they join.

2.  I suspect travel visas would be issued since people will likely have family members in both countries.

3.  I think two nations would emerge; not three or more.  Geographical continuity would be a problem for both so some kind of travel corridor would be created sorta like the Neutral Zone from Star Trek.

Interesting!  But if state referendums emerge to decide all-or-nothing for each state, wouldn't we see massive corruption because the stakes are so high?  And how would you handle purple states, such as Georgia or Minnesota, which could decide to join Wokestan even though the vast majority of left-leaning support would be heavily concentrated in small geographical zones?

I think we'd almost necessarily see balkanization, perhaps along county lines.  State boundaries are just too great to have everyone there live under the same ideological rule.  Otherwise, you'd have armed rebellions breaking out in parts of states all over, and then it could turn into an all-out revolution.2020 Election Results Map by County

ReplyQuote
Phidippides
(@phidippides)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter  

I think my last post broke the forum. 😐 

ReplyQuote
Ken
 Ken
(@skiguy)

Phid,

Nothing will be amicable at that point.

1) I think states will divide first.  Will/Can cities or counties become autonomous?  What will the Federal and State governments do to these rural towns if we're at war against them? 

ReplyQuote
Donald Baker
(@donaldbaker)
Illustrious Member Admin

States won't willingly give up their territorial integrity.  Yes there might be pockets of resistance on both sides.  But the states will move decisively to crush any organized rebellions.  There will be instability until the dust settles.

ReplyQuote
Donald Baker
(@donaldbaker)
Illustrious Member Admin

I resized the image.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share:

FORUM RULES

• No posts that incite violence or promotes hatred will be tolerated. Critics of gun enthusiasts always try to paint us as violent xenophobic racists. Nothing of the kind will be found here.
  • Harassment of other members will result in a swift permanent ban. If you cannot be nice, your stay here will be short.
  • Spamming the board with mindless rants will not be allowed. If there is a need, a forum can be created for well articulated tirades. We support free speech, but there are better ways of going about it.
  • Inappropriate pictures or graphics will be removed. There are enough websites on the internet for that junk. LegacyArmory.com isn’t going to become one of them.
  • Soliciting services are to be confined to the classified ads forum. We will allow the promotion of other personal websites so long as they are not inappropriate or offensive to our membership. WE KNOW INAPPROPRIATE WHEN WE SEE IT.
RSS
Follow by Email